Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Day Wrap Up

Yesterday, I went 1-1 on my picks both Straight Up and Against the Spread. I underestimated USC but I think I was more rooting against them when I made that pick than actually believing that Penn State could win. Nevertheless, Penn State did score 17 fourth quarter points to almost come back and cover the 8.5 point spread losing by just a 14 point margin, 38-24.

In the nightcap, I was right on. Cincinnatti, a 2.5 point favorite, came out quickly and jumped to 7-0 lead fresh on the heels of the hype of playing in their first BCS bowl game. However, Virigina Tech, the more expeirenced and better team overall, got back into the game and eventually took control pulling away late with a 20-7 victory.

If you are looking to hit 2 out of 3 picks, I believe we are right on track with tonight's pick of Alabama over Utah as a 9 point favorite. Alabama hasn't played in the Sugar Bowl since their 1993 win over Miami to capture their 13th national championship. Surely they will be motivated to be playing in this game after a 16-year absence. The crowd will be mostly Alabama fans who only have to make they short drive over to Louisiana.

Pick: Alabama 31 Utah 10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roll Tide!