Monday, September 21, 2009

Not Much has Changed

With 1/4 of the college football season in the books, I decided to take a look back at my pre-season predictions, evaluate and determine what changes I should make. Needless to say, so far, my picks have come out smelling like a rose.

BCS Championship Game

Texas (13-0) vs. Penn State (12-0)

This still seems like the logical match-up. Key games:

Oct. 17 - Texas vs. Oklahoma
Nov. 7 - Penn Sate. vs. Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl

Oklahoma (10-2) vs. Boise State (12-0)

Despite the loss to BYU, I still like Oklahoma to run the table, outside of the Texas game and should still find their way into this game. A close loss to Texas won't drop them too far and the dream match up against Boise State will be too much to pass up.

Boise State will roll into this game undefeated.

Rose Bowl

California (11-1) vs. Ohio State (10-2)

I still like California to win the Pac-10. I predicted it would be a down year for USC this year and California should have what it takes to come out on top. Cal has a legitimate shot at going undefeated but I think they will trip up at least once this season and it could be next week at Oregon. If not, I've got their last game of the season circled; at Washington. Cal is my back up pick for the BCS Title game behind Penn State.

Ohio State should only have to worry about their game at Penn State on Nov. 7. A win could get them back into the BCS Championship Game mix but I don't see them going into Happy Valley and winning there.

Orange Bowl

Miami (11-2) vs. Notre Dame (10-2)

I think Miami will come back down to earth a little in their next two games, at Virginia Tech and vs. Oklahoma. However, I think they have enough to the win a very down, ACC.

As I mentioned in the pre-season, Notre Dame should not have any trouble winning 9 games with this schedule. In fact, they should be a favorite in all of their remaining games, including USC. However, I don't see them winning them all and will probably even lose one that they shouldn't. Regardless, 9 wins gets them to a BCS bowl game.

Sugar Bowl

Florida (12-1) vs. Pittsburgh (10-2)

Florida will not go undefeated this year. They may be the best team in the country but will probably not have a chance to prove it at the end of the season.

If I had a pre-season pick to change, it may be the Big East champ. Before the season started, I don't believe there was a clear, cut choice. However, I believe so far, Cincinnatti has stepped up to be that team. They have become the trendy pick. In fact, College Football News is predicting them to play Florida in the BCS Championship game. I think that is a little over the top but they may indeed be the Big East champ. I'll stick with Pittsburgh for now.

No comments: