Thursday, March 13, 2008

Slimming Down

As I mentioned in my last post, I recently began working out at 24 Hour Fitness. The company I work for closed down our office in League City, Texas and moved operations about 50 miles north to The Woodlands, Texas on Feb. 15. For me that meant an additional 50 miles of commuting per day and the hassle of having to deal with Houston traffic. Therefore, I decided to do something about it.

Every Monday, Wednesday & Friday, I wake up at 4:45 A.M. and head to the gym. Instead of waking up, getting ready at home and then heading out to the parking lot also known as I-45, I get ahead of the traffic and use the time that I could be sitting on the freeway, to work out. I started my workouts and my quote-unquote "diet" on Wednesday, Feb. 20 and have continued every Monday, Wednesday & Friday since. As hard as it is for some of you who know me to believe that I actually wake up at 4:45 A.M., I really do. I have not missed one work out yet and even come back to the gym on Wednesday evenings for a little full-court basketball.

In the mornings, I walk/run for a total of 2.0 miles. It's been a combination of walking and running but this past week, I have been walking 0.35 miles as a warm-up, jogging 0.65, walking 0.25 miles, running 0.65 miles, and walking out the final 0.10 of a mile.

After hitting the treadmill, I make my way down to the weights where I work my pectorals, biceps, triceps, calves and abs. I can do this entire workout in about 45 minutes before heading to the locker room to get ready for work. After I get ready, I make the short 2-minute drive to my office building.

On my first weigh in after the first week of workouts, I had only lost 1.5 pounds. It was kind of disappointing but a sign to me to keep working hard & the results would come. The next week at weigh in, I was shocked to find I had lost 6 pounds in one week. These are not typical results but I will take them. Finally on Wednesday, I weighed in again and to my surprise I had lost another 1.5 pounds. That is a total of 9 pounds in only 3 weeks!! Look out "Subway" Jared.

My goal is to trim off a total of 35 pounds but also to tone my body into a lean-mean-fighting-machine. So far ... so good!

3 comments:

Steve Corn said...

I should follow your example . . . just not sure I've got it in me

TigerMoobs said...

I'll work out your pectorals alright!

Anonymous said...

Hey, dont know if you even look at this anymore... just googled your name and it popped up. Its Derek. Call me if you get this. 713-870-4726